Monday, April 7, 2008

Bones in Lay's Chips


True Tales from the Crypt
Last night close to the bewitching hour I went to a nearby garage shop. One of the items I bought was an orange packet of Lay's - I think it is the Thai-Chilli flavour. Back at the ranch I'm absently gobbling up chips. I get to the last handful and am about to swallow when - HORROR. Something long and odd shaped is crawling in my mouth. With a growing sense of revulsion, I put my fingers into my mouth, feeling between mushy chip crumbs, and pull out a stick-like object plus a shorter, stubbier version. My guess is that it's a chicken bone, but it's definitely not a chip. I felt pretty nauseous afterwards. What if it is diseased. A rotting piece of some animal thrown into a chip packet as a prank?

I immediately called Lay's/Simba's customer service helplines (both of them) and there was no answer at midnight. Then I took these pictures, placed the choke-apparatus back into the bag, and sealed it in a plastic container before inserting it into the freezer.

Lay's say they will come and pick up the sample tomorrow and have it checked out. I'll let you know what their examination turns up. Suffice it to say I'm not impressed. At lunch guess what was on the menu? Chicken. No thanks. And I think I'll be steering clear of crisps for the next 20 or 30 years.

No comments: