Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rosebank is still very much 'Under Construction'






I grabbed my camera on my lunchbreak yesterday, and whilst taking the first few pictures of the massive big hole next to The Zone in Rosebank, I found myself chatting to one of the construction workers. He told me they are building a hotel...er...ANOTHER hotel, and a shopping mall...er, ANOTHER mall. What about the defunct mall next to the AVUSA offices?

I reckon the defuct mall should be converted into a Food Hall, with lots of smallish restaurants (like King Pie) etc for staff from Total, all the AVUSA people and shoppers.

Instead of a hotel, what about a gym, or a park, or some sort of area for relaxation...even an aquarium. I guess they could always build a pool deck on the roof...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Kimberley had the biggest hole in South Africa

Nick said...

Not even the Kimberley hole is the biggest (manmade). Around the corner in Jagersfontein is a bigger one, but I think it caved in or something and is just less spectacular thank Kimberley's. The reason this hole is so deep in Rosebank is for underground parking. Almost all the big buildings in Seoul South Korea start off 6 storeys deep.

Champagne Heathen said...

What Rosebank is in desperate need of are a video store and a chinese take away (Kung Fu Kitchen). If they'd had that when I lived the 1 block away, I would NEVER have needed my car.

As for Kimberley...it in fact is only the 3rd biggest hole in SA dug by people...something about the last bit of it being dug by machines. Thank this month's SAA inflight mag for this fascinating not-so-well-remembered piece of info!

Nick said...

What's 2nd then - Rosebank mine? Or the hole Mugabe or Mbeki is digging for himself?

Ja I guess the closest to a Kung Fu kitchen here is Kuaui, or Mr. Delivery.

I'm not so familiar with Chinese. What are like the top 3 meals that are always good?